pieniä ajatuksia

Elämästä. Maailmasta. Asioista, joita muut eivät edes huomaa.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Days that bug me

I've never quite understood the purpose and sense of days dedicated to certain kind of people in our lives. Like St. Valentine's day (the international version's a plot to make single people feel they're useless, the Finnish "Friend's day" version of it is just an excuse for ignoring your friends for the rest of the year), Women's day (why isn't there a Men's day too?), etc. Maybe people would forget to appreciate what they have in their life if you don't tell them to remember it in their diary. But if you forget it despite the fact that it's printed in your diary and everyone else in the country remembers it - then you're really in trouble!

Someone said on TV that mums get something silly like four times more presents on Mother's day than dads do on Father's day. That annoys me. What also annoys me is that I don't remember seeing such a fuss on telly about Father's day ever. What exactly is it that makes mums so much more special than dads? Apart from the obvious biological stuff, I don't see a difference. But does a few hours of excruciating pain (or so I've heard) really entitle women to use kids against men for the rest of their life? Have I just had a bizarrely equal relationship with both my mum and dad and thus don't see the great big difference between the roles of mums & dads? Or is it just that men know that the whining'll never stop if you don't get her tons of presents on any occasion, be it St. Valentine's, Women's day, Mother's day or any other day for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, I like it too when people are nice to me, get me presents & so on. But I love the people I love on any day, not just when I'm told to do so. An unexpected cup of coffee from a friend on an average grey wednesday makes me a lot happier than flowers and presents on a day when you're meant to buy people flowers and presents and there's no telling whether they actually mean anything on that particular day or if it's just because that's what you're meant to do.

None the less, happy Mother's day to all mothers, especially my own, of course. Let me know if there's a Sister's day, a Brother's day, a Single Friend's day, an I-Don't-Want-Kids-But-I'm-Still-Normal's day and an I-Want-Kids-But-Haven't-Found-The-Right-Mum/Dad-Yet's day too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home